Monday 25 February 2013

The Design Process - Face Charts

Taking into consideration advice from the industry and to create a better understanding of how I picture my characters make-up to look, I have designed face charts for each of my ten characters. Although I have designed the looks to my taste these are still open to change and underneath each I have written a critical analysis of how I feel about the looks including both strengths and weaknesses and whether any changes can be made to create a successful character for the final design. 

Rapunzel


I wanted to keep the make-up look of Rapunzel quite natural and pure looking, I feel I have achieved this with the soft colours and tones of pinks and creams within the make-up design. Another element of the make-up that I will add during the shoot is scars to resemble her mother cutting away violently at her hair, this is how I propose to show the darker, more violent side to the story, I have tried and tested a few products and tuplast appears to be the best option for this technique. I'm also pleased with the make-up design of the Prince, I'm going to create a crown of thorns and also use white mesh contacts to resemble the moment in the story when the prince becomes blind. I also feel that the strong contouring using a beige blush will give the face a more defined structure and create the masculine appearance that would resemble a typical prince. I am happy with both of these designs as I feel they portray the characters and elements of the story well, a change that I would make however is by adding bruising and blood around the Prince's crown and face to resemble something that is more realistic to the plot.


                                                  
                                                                                              Little Red Riding Hood


With the designs of these characters in particular I wanted to use this opportunity to show a much darker side to Little Red Riding Hood than most people wouldn't know. To do so I have tried to make the look of Little Red Riding much darker and extreme than that of a child. I feel I have achieved this with my face chart through the smudging of black around the eyes and also the dark red tone of the lip - as the story is said to hold sexual elements, I felt red would be a symbolic colour to use. I'm also going to use derma wax or gelfix to create the claw wound on the side of her face to resemble the moment in the story when she is attacked violently by the wolf. In regards to the make-up design of the wolf I found it difficult to create the face chart. I'm hoping to use brown crepe hair to create the fur on the wolf's face and I don't feel that my design demonstrates the fur well, I am hoping that it is expressed more clearly in my final images. Overall I am pleased with the wolf's design as it resembles an evil looking creature but still has human elements to it such as the shaping of the face, the dip at the front of the eyebrows also adds to the evil persona of the wolf and reflects the wolf's personality clearly.




                                                                                              Snow White & Rose Red


The story of Snow White is different to that of Snow White & Rose Red whereby two sisters are opposite in personality and appearance but also inseparable from one another. With the look of Snow White and Rose Red I am trying to demonstrate characters that are both opposite in appearance but similar in a symbolic way to resemble the closeness of the two sisters. To create a contrast between both, Snow White has to be very innocent looking with white and nude tones and soft lines, whereas Rose Red's design uses much darker colours and harsh strong lines to reflect her opposing personality. As I set out to create opposite looks I feel these designs are successful in showing that through the use of colour and an overall feel. However out of all my characters I am least happy with these designs, I have struggled throughout with how far to push each of my characters looks and I don't feel that these show enough of my make-up and design capability  I feel the looks could be re thought to create more visually enticing characters. 

Hansel & Gretel


Another design that I feel was unsuccessful is Gretel, I again struggled with how far to push the characters make-up design as in the story she is meant to be a child, although this is my first design and it can be reworked, I feel that the styling of this character will be a strong element in showing her character and personality. On the other hand the face chart I am most happy with is the make-up design of the witch as I feel the colours, contouring and detail successfully make the character look evil and menacing. I have taken inspiration from the witch make-up in the new film Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters whereby they have cracks coming on to their face, as my character of the witch lives deep in the forest I have expanded on this and made them look like small branches coming on to her face to make her look as if she has become part of the forest around her. Another make-up design will have to be created for the witch to show the moment in the story when the witch is burnt to death by an oven, here I will have half of the face covered in burns through the use of latex and cotton wool. 


Cinderella


Creating this look for Cinderella gave me a chance to show her as different character to the stereotypical princess image as in reality Cinderella leads a hard, working life. As she is a slave to her step mother and step sisters, I wanted the design of Cinderella to resemble her as looking very tired and worn, I also used the prominent colour of grey as in the story she sleeps every night in a pile of ash, although the scanned image of the picture has made the grey darker than how I would want it on the model's face. I am happy with the make-up design, I really like the lines under the eyes as I feel this is a quick and easy way to represent tiredness or mistreatment. I feel the design is successful in showing Cinderella as un-glamorous and unkempt as this is the true reality of her life. An element of this look that I would change is adding fullers earth onto the hair and forehead to represent the ash in which she sleeps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment