Saturday 16 February 2013

Filming - Day Three

Today was day three of filming and my second weekend of travelling to London and around London and I've just about got used to all the tubes, trains and buses. Through all the constant travelling and having to carry a lot of products and equipment around with me, I decided to travel lighter and just pack exactly what I needed as I've noticed that I haven't used all of the products I originally thought I would. I've also noticed that I've hardly used any of my hair products, I'm concerned about this as hair skills are something I feel I still need to build upon and gain confidence with, I feel that I need to build upon my hair skills as much as I can during my time at university so that in future I feel confident in styling hair without the help of my tutors.

Although I thought I was being clever by packing less equipment, I left my latex at home (2 and a half hours away) which meant I couldn't use it to create bite wounds, I was annoyed with myself and had to use my derma wax as a second option. Any make-up artist knows that wax will melt quickly if the model gets too hot or moves around too much - unfortunately this is what happened with my zombie bite wounds. The models were waiting around for almost an hour after there make-up was completed and doing several run through's of scenes before the actual shooting, this resulted in the wax melting quickly and I ended up having to re do the bite wounds just before they were being filmed. I asked the producer to only give me half an hour maximum notice to complete a look to avoid the same situation happening again. 

As the wax wasn't working well within the environment, I needed to try a second back-up plan; I tried gelfix instead. Gelfix is a product that is solid and becomes usable when its heated and melted however because the make-up room was cold the gelfix became hard before it'd even reached the skin and again was not suitable to the filming environment, I had to make do with the derma wax until I was able to purchase some more latex.

So far the scenes haven't been filmed in chronological order and seem to be shot pretty much all over the place, I guess this makes it easier for location shooting but inevitably more difficult for me, the make-up artist. I found this mixed up order of scenes quite confusing to start with as scenes with no make-up were filmed after the scenes where they'd have blood on their face and clothing. I found myself double checking with the producer to make sure I was doing the right make-up, something that I'll have to learn to figure out on my own in the industry.

Today was the longest and most tiring day of filming so far, 8:30 am until 5:30 pm and we only stopped then because of lack of sunlight. However the day did seem to go quickly and I am really enjoying my time here. It's been such a good insight into the industry as a few scenes were put on hold for me to jump in and do touch ups. It felt good to work under pressure and within a short time constraint, as the rest of filming and make-up has been quite relaxed. I am apprehensive about filming tomorrow as it is the busiest day of filming out of the six days, I've got a team of three make-up artists working for me in a devised assembly line whereby together we will be making up the extras scene of 30 zombies.





No comments:

Post a Comment