Friday 22 February 2013

The Basics

In order to create a successful and visually pleasing book, it is paramount that I find a reputable and professional printing company that will create and publish my book to a high standard. After looking at a few online publishers I've decided to use a publisher known as Blurb, I have heard that previous students on the course have used it and through their outcomes it appears to be a reliable source and good value for money.

As well as finding a book publisher I've also had to decide on a desired book size as I was unsure whether I wanted the book to be an average sized portrait book or larger to display my work more clearly and to use it as more of a portfolio of work. I decided that the best way for me to figure out which size I liked best was to create mock up templates of each book size with white card and treasury tags to see how it looked and felt to hold in my own hands. I settled on the book size called by Blurb 'large square' which is 12" x 12" as I felt it was the perfect size to showcase strong, large images but not too big that it was uncomfortable to hold.

I'm filming for 'Ruthless' again this weekend so before I leave for London this evening I'm trying to decide on a final font and style of writing specifically for the book. I've been in touch with a graphic design student who's currently working for third floor publications and she's given me some really great advice on creating a suitable font and also how to create shapes with font on InDesign - the programme I plan on using when creating the layout for my book. I've used her help and advice to create mock up designs of my layouts and text -



I really like how the text flows around the images, I feel it adds interest to the page however I also feel that it could become slightly distracting from the image itself. The straight lined text is clear and easily readable and upon reflection the best option for my book.

After searching endlessly for a suitable font, I have managed to whittle my choices down to a final three. I used the website dafont.com to download a range of fonts that I thought would be best suitable however some of the fonts looked different when I actually typed a sentence, a lot of them were unreadable and not suitable for a book that needed readable clear text. Although it's important that the text is clear, it's also important that the text its relevant to the concept and dark theme of my book, with this in mind my favourite text choice is the first one out of the three.


Fairy tales       Rapunzel had hair spun like gold


Fairy Tales         Rapunzel had hair spun like gold

Fairy Tales        Rapunzel had hair spun like gold


In order to complete all of my work within the deadline, it is important that I am organised and that I have a devised time plan to work to. Within this plan I have allocated 9 shooting dates to complete each of my characters and looks, this plan then gives me two weeks until the deadline to create the books layout on InDesign & to leave time for the book to be made and delivered - 

5th March, 7th March, 12th March, 14th March, 1st April, 9th April, 11th April, 16th April & 18th April

As I have now planned each look to detail I know what costumes and props that are needed for each look, I have sourced each of my props so that I can now move forward and begin to make and test the props. 

Blonde crepe hair, white contact lenses, vine, toothpicks, brown, green and yellow acrylic paint, fangs, brown wool fur, acrylic nail tips, a white and a red rose, blue ribbon and a fake plant of leaves. 

Costumes will play a big part in creating the overall persona and look of a character and can help to depict the characters personality, status or wealth. I feel that to create professional images I have to use professional costumes and styling, to do so I have booked an appointment with reputable costume hire company Hampshire Wardrobe and vintage costume company Hepwrights. With these appointments in place and with my ideas and concepts coming together I feel much more confident about the process and the project ahead; I am now looking forward to the challenge of creating my own published book.

Another element that will be key to creating and portraying a dark mood and theme is my choice of lighting. This won't be a typical beauty step up, I want to create a dark and light effect whereby one side of the face is shadowed and the other is lite up. I'm hoping this will add a creepy, sinister look to my images and help to easily portray the dark theme of the book. I also find that with this light set up it adds mystery to the photo as you aren't able to see the whole face and a reader might be left to question what lurks in the darker side of the image.



No comments:

Post a Comment