Sunday 17 February 2013

Filming - Day Four

I am now into day 4 of filming with only two more days and one weekend left of filming, through all the months of build up towards the project it's gone so quickly and I've enjoyed every minute of it, even though I have found some parts of the experience both difficult and challenging.

Today was by far the busiest day of filming as we had 30 extra's to make into zombies for an outdoor outbreak scene filmed in the street whereby four security guards were on patrol to stop the pedestrians coming through. 

I had three assistants helping me on the day and to keep a nice flow of work I gave each person a different element of the make-up to complete. I showed each girl how I wanted the make-up to look but after showing them this I noticed that they weren't following me correctly and I soon became frustrated at how much white paint and black eye shadow they were using on the face; the zombies were meant to look more human like than dead so I found myself going back around each person's work and correcting their make-up mistakes. After a few times of doing this I asked to see every zombie before they left the work station so that I was happy with how they looked before they went into filming. However as we were on a tight schedule I didn't feel like the make-up was up to my standards but pressed with time and reassured that they were only going to be filmed quickly I settled with their looks. It was quite frustrating for me that I didn't have enough time to go around each and every one of the extras as one of the assistants gave herself  free reign with wounds and cuts to the point where they didn't look realistic anymore, I tried to salvage some of the looks as best as I could. 

Although I faced some frustrating moments I enjoyed the fast pace of today, I spent most of the day outdoors on set and I felt confident and friendly enough within the team to voice my opinion when I felt necessary. One of the main difficulties that I faced was trying to change up each zombie look for the extras so that they didn't become repetitive as we did over 30 zombies. By the end  of the process I felt the looks were getting slightly repetitive so I am going to spend some of next week trying to create some more face templates so that I don't repeat looks that I've already done. I've used a large portion of the budgets make-up products today but I am still yet to use much of the hair products, again I feel like that I should have paid more attention to the hair so that it matches and ties in with the more extreme zombie looks.





No comments:

Post a Comment