Sunday 14 April 2013

Rapunzel's - The Prince

After much organising and problems faced I have completed my second shoot, the character of the Prince in the story of Rapunzel. I have had terrible trouble booking studios to complete shoots so I now know that with every opportunity I have to shoot I must try to complete the looks to the highest standard but also in a small time frame. I have found this difficult as my make-up looks change throughout the shoots to match the dialogue and plot of the story. Inevitably these make-up changes take time and this leaves me with less shooting time then if I was doing just the one look for each character. All though I have found this hard, it's also been great experience of working within a fast paced, time constrained environment and the outcomes of the shoots, I feel, are appropriate to the individual characters and full of make-up techniques.  

For my previous shoot I worked with a photographer however for this shoot she cancelled last minute and I was left to shoot alone, I vaguely remembered how to set up my desired lighting and with some help from a photography technician I completed the photography for this shoot on my own, again great experience of working under pressure and being able to adapt to changes. 

Here are some of my favourite images from the Prince photo shoot -







Make-up 

A typical Prince is masculine, strong and handsome, I used basic cover up make-up and a dark powder to contour the face and add structure to create a strong jaw line and cheekbones. The first make-up look was quite simple to contrast with the second make-up look. By this point the Prince has fallen out of the tower into a bed of thorns, I used my handmade crown, a bruise wheel to create bruising around the eyes, special FX blood to create blood wounds around the crown and wound filler and a stipple sponge to create grazes on the side of the face and the lips. I also wanted to use contacts in the eyes to show blindness however my model found it too difficult to put them in, however overall I am very happy with the second look, it is successful in showing the loss of the Prince's masculinity and the pain and suffering after the accident, I also feel that it shows a range of make-up skills.  

Styling

To create a realistic Prince look, I used images of Prince's both in films and history for referencing. All their outfits looked both tight fitted and luxurious, as I suppose this shows their wealth and power. To be in keeping with the look of a real prince for the styling of this shoot, I used an old pantomime outfit of mine; a blue velvet jacket lined on the edges with white fur. To add to this I made a frilly white cravat and with a conjoining piece of material that I attached to a white shirt with metal poppers. Overall I am really pleased with the styling of this look as there was only so much I could do to make the model look Prince like with the styling used I feel it is the most important and here the most successful aspect in showing the character as a realistic Prince.

Props & Editing

I decided to make my own crown of thorns as I felt this way the best and most artistic way of showing the Prince's fall into a bed of thorns. I made the crown of thorns from scratch using real branches that I sourced from a local forest, I then painted the crown keeping some of the branches green and painted the others brown, I feel this elements shows up well and successfully with the lighting used. I am really happy with how the crown of thorns turned out on camera and teamed with the blood and bruising I feel it is successful image in showing that element of the stories plot. To show the Prince's blindness, I originally hoped to use white contacts however my model wasn't able to put them in his eyes so instead I used Photoshop and the use of the clone stamp and smudge tool to create an overall white eye. I did the best that I could with editing however I do feel that the eyes look unrealistic but as long as the message is clear then I feel the editing has been successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment